Saturday, July 30, 2011

Reentry Post 7 Attended Orientation for Next Crop of Fulbrighters

Because the orientation for Fulbrighters had been such a help to us, we decided to pass on what we had learned. The government paid for Del's ticket to Washington and expenses, but because in our family I am more in charge of many activities of daily living than Del is, I thought I could offer some useful information that he might not think of. So we paid for my ticket. Del and a student were the only returning Fulbrighters there, and I was the only spouse. It was made clear by one Fulbright professional that it was presumptuous of me to participate, so I would recommend that future returning spouses not attend. If you have suggestions, make a list and give it to your spouse so that he/she can refer to it during the group sessions. Why spend your own money to get your feelings hurt in public? Since I did intrude, I hope Del as the Fulbrighter and I as the trailing spouse were as helpful to the new group as the returnees were to us last year. They were certainly an interesting and gracious group, and if they are received even half as generously at their universities as we were at Klaipeda University, they will be truly blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment