Monday, August 1, 2011

Reentry Post 8 So, Now That It's Ending, How Do You Feel About Blogging, Betty?

That's probably a really good question, but I am really conflicted about the answer. I started Blog simply to keep a record so that my memories would not all run together and to keep in touch with friends and family. As time went on, it became less a a travelogue about Lithuania and more a ramble through my thoughts and feelings. It was not something I intended to happen, and I really don't know how it ended up that way. Some days it almost turned into a diary. I never kept a diary for more than a day or two at a time as a girl, but I do know that they came with a tiny key and were kept hidden.

Perhaps because I really didn't/still don't exactly understand how people find blogs, it didn't occur to me that people who didn't know I even existed in the world would find their way to Blog, much less read it. So, I yaked away, trying to be sure I didn't say anything that might offend anyone, but not really mindful that anyone other than my nearest and dearest would ever read what I wrote. If a 64 year old woman can occasionally find herself being more open than she originally intended, no wonder younger people end up letting things hang out that they will come to regret. When we were kids and were indiscrete or cruel or foolish it was wrong and hurtful and did real damage, but it could only spread so far. Today... And that doesn't even begin to consider those who are intentionally hurtful rather than just thoughtless. Jeffrey Deaver's ROADSIDE CROSSES, as mentioned in an earlier post, can describe that all too well.

Maybe I'll figure it all out one of these days. In the meantime, thank you to all you kind folks who kept up with our adventures and sent encouraging words.

Here are the last pictures of Lithuania and of our trip to Rhodes.


https://picasaweb.google.com/Williams.BMR/LastLithuaniaPixandRhodesPix

https://picasaweb.google.com/Williams.BMR/LastLithuaniaPixandRhodesPix

If you ever are in the neighborhood, stop off in Klaipeda and tell them Betty sent you.

No comments:

Post a Comment